Sexual abuse, or molestation, is the forcing of unwanted sexual behavior by one person upon another. The term also covers any behavior by any adult towards a child to stimulate either the adult or child sexually.
There are many types of sexual abuse, including:
- Non-consensual, forced physical sexual behavior with or without penetration (rape and sexual assault).
- Unwanted touching, either of a child or an adult.
- Sexual kissing, fondling, and exposure of genitalia.
- Exposing a child to pornography.
- Saying sexually suggestive statements towards a child.
- Also applies to non-consensual verbal sexual demands towards an adult.
- The use of a position of trust to compel otherwise unwanted sexual activity without physical force (or can lead to attempted rape or sexual assault).
Victims are often those most vulnerable – the elderly, children, and the disabled. Perpetrators are often those in a position of trust – religious leaders, parents, and teachers.
The Law Offices of Devin Robinson believes that all people have a right to bodily integrity and independence, including the right to be free of unwanted sexual advances and holding perpetrators accountable. If you, or a loved one is the victim of sexual abuse, please contact us for a free consultation, regardless of when that abuse occurred.
Most importantly, please seek care. The following resources are available for sexual abuse victims: